Friday, March 11, 2011

Fearless Females: National Women's History Month Day 9 - Simon Boyle Declaration of Intention

March 9 — Take a family document (baptismal certificate, passenger list, naturalization petition, etc.) and write a brief narrative using the information.


(I don't have any documents for females in the family - yet!)


Simon Joseph Boyle is my greatgrandfather, my father's grandfather.  He passed away a year a day before I was born.


Simon Joseph Boyle (1880-1958)

Declaration of Intention for Naturalization
(Click to see larger image)

A Declaration of Intention reveals a lot about the applicant:
  • This gave me a snapshot of Simon's life on September 17, 1918, the date the Intention was signed
  • He was 37 years old
  • Middle name is Joseph - this clarified for me what his middle name really was because I've found it as Patrick in other places
  • Occupation: cashier
  • He was a slight man - only 5'5" and 130 pounds
  • Hair color is light, which surprised me because every picture I've seen of him, it looks like he has very dark hair
  • Blue eyes
  • No distinctive marks
  • Date of birth is November 12, 1880 - which was very helpful because I've found different dates of birth for him
  • Address was 273 Cabot Street in Roxbury, MA
  • He emigrated from Liverpool, England and traveled on the ship Ivernia, arriving at Boston, MA on April 12, 1906
  • Foreign residence was Dublin, Ireland
  • He was living with his wife, Ellen, who also came from Ireland.  This also confirmed for me that her legal name was Ellen, not Ella
  • George V was King of Great Britain and Ireland at the time
  • Also confirms that he is not an anarchist or bigamist - or at least that's what he attests to!
  • Show his signature which, if needed, could be compared to other documents to see if the Simon Boyle in those documents is indeed my Simon
Here is Simon's arrival record from ancestry.com which also tells a lot, but that's a post for another day.
(Click for larger image)


Simon's Oath of Allegiance

Simon's Petition for Naturalization

     

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment