Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fearless Females: National Women's History Month Day 2 - Mary Louisa (Craibe) Bowen

March 2 — Post a photo of one of your female ancestors. Who is in the photo? When was it taken? Why did you select this photo?


Mary Louisa Craibe (1881-1939)
Henry Anthony Bowen (1884-1957)
Year taken: unknown

Mary Louisa was my father's grandmother, my greatgrandmother.  I chose this picture mostly because I like the look on her face.  She reminds me an awful lot of my aunt Clare.  Clare was a tough, red-headed spitfire and to me, Mary Louisa looks the same.  Of course, I could be completely wrong - she could have been a meek little thing - but I don't think so.  From the stories I've heard and the documentation I've found on Henry A, she had to have been pretty tough to put up with his antics!  He is definitely going to be a subject for another blog entry. 

When Mary Louisa and Henry were married in 1906, they lived on Dudley Street in - where else?  Roxbury!  They later lived on Fenwick Street, moving to 283 Eustis Street, probably half a mile from where my mother's grandmother lived (Evelyn Pierce Pollock).  I wonder if they knew each other   

I don't know when this photo was taken but I think that maybe it was their engagement/wedding photo, so that would make it around 1905/1906.  

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice. I look forward to seeing what this month brings for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm learning that it's not as easy as it looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great photo!! I love that look on her face too!

    ReplyDelete