Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fearless Females: National Women's History Month Day 6 - Heirlooms

March 6 — Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don’t have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.)


The only things I've ever inherited have been from my grandmother, "Lil", Elizabeth Catherine (Boyle) Bowen.  When she passed, some of her belongings were given to me: her watch, pearls, mink stole, the last check she wrote and a letter that she wrote to her kids that went with her will.


My grandmother's "Mother's ring" was inherited by her daughter, Anne.  When Anne passed, the ring was given to my daughter.  The ring is very special - it has 15 stones - one for each of her children.  I can remember looking at it as a child and asking her which stone was for my father.  She always wore the ring on her middle finger and after my grandfather passed, she wore his onyx on her other middle finger.  Here is my daughter, her namesake, modeling the mink stole and ring.




I loved her mink stole and always thought how glamorous she looked in it!




Thanks for reading!

1 comment: