Monday, March 7, 2011

Fearless Females: National Women's History Month Day 7 - Favorite recipe

March 7 — Share a favorite recipe from your mother or grandmother’s kitchen. Why is this dish your favorite? If you don’t have one that’s been passed down, describe a favorite holiday or other meal you shared with your family.


My personal favorite recipe from my grandmother is definitely not a favorite of others in the family!  Creamed fish!  YUM!  It's made with dried, salted cod and served over potatoes or toast.  I usually wing this recipe, so am trying to write from memory.


Dried cod fish (the kind in the wooden box)
1 box frozen peas
Stick of butter
2 cups of milk
Flour/water thickening paste - (1 cup of water, add flour to make a syrupy texture)




Soak the fish overnight in a pot of water.  I personally love the more salty taste, so I don't soak it overnight, just for a few hours.  Next day, replace the water and bring to a boil.  Cook until the fish flakes.


While that's cooking, melt the stick of butter in a frying pan and then add the milk and peas.  Add the thickening mixture and cook over low heat, stirring frequently.  When the fish is done, add it and let it all cook until the mixture is like a thick gravy.  Serve over mashed potatoes or toast.


My grandmother lived 'up the street' (family joke) and she would send creamed fish 'down the street' to my father.  I would drive him crazy as a kid because more often than not, I'd eat half of it on him!  But what goes around comes around - my daughter now does the same thing to me. :)


Thanks for reading!   

1 comment: